Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dos languages dos

Bidane is starting to read, now she can handle more than "pig or dog", but a lot of more words, like "paper or anybody". She loves Dr. Seuss books, she asks me to help her when she is "stuck".

For the english speakers that could sound a normal process of learning, but for me is much more, she learns, I learn.

I have to help with words that are not natural to me, and now I'm convinced the english is a language with "difficulties", -no offense- to read it, the child almost needs to memorize that see is see and sea is sea, you know? or that cross is cross instead of krs (like Bidane thinks).

I remember when I started to read, I could do it in a three months process, from september to december, by that I was able to write my Christmas letter, because in spanish one reads putting together one phonetic sound with a vowel, just five vowels sounds (all words have this combination at least once, like "si") and it is written as it sounds.

I did notice such confussion with Aitana, but she some way has a talent to write and soon she was over those difficulties, but Bidane, curious and logical as she is, she is starting to think that me is mee, becuase two e is e, in me too!( I know there is rule with ee that sounds "i" to my-self). When I say -me is me- she reacts like I'm crazy -by the way you don't speak english, mamá-, she possibly thinks.

You have to be a witness of our reading sessions, I say, "see is ver", "sea is mar"... And we don't start our spanish lesson yet...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daleth como MAMA que eres, te sigo felicitando y enviando muchas abrazos para ti por preocuparte al guiar a tus hijas, (mis sobrinas) a traves de su infancia. Las extraño mucho.
Tio y Padrino Cavi

daleth said...

Bueno David... y que tal que te echas(n) una vuelta ahora en el verano, tenemos dos mesesotes para recibir visitas.

lydiafdc said...

While learning Spanish in college, I realized that English is much more difficult cuz it's just not straightforward like "por ejemplo", Spanish...anyway, great job!

Anonymous said...

the wonderful thing is that she is going to be completely fluent in two languages...lucky Bidane (and Aitana).

Lauren said...

Welcome to my world.