Sunday, October 28, 2007

Unsuspected, el permiso ya llegó!

Maybe the readers know, that we arrived to this country just with a working permit (visa) for Pepe. I came along with him, attached to his papers as a "dependant", not even allowed to sell my art-crafts to anybody.

We left Mexico 10 years ago, as you know we moved to Canada, so Pepe could get his master degree, the visa was for a student and I was a pregnant woman. Remembering the day we departed from Mexico city, I was standing by the airline counter in the airport, we had to fill some papers where I had to write down my occupation, -I felt something heavy over me-, my occupation had to be "homemaker" (ama de casa) or some business related to the house, because my profession as Oceanologist or Environmental land-use planner was OVER.

Just yesterday I was reading a book U2 by U2 (the band), and Bono said something like this: after a long time on tour, he came back home and had to call a friend to help him to get a routine, since he did not have one, he felt lost. I know Bono and I ... nothing related. But I think I was experiencing the same in Canada (for years here too), lost and depressed for something I didn't have any more, my working life.

Years passed, we have almost 8 years here, and finally my working permit came on the mail. I wasn't expecting it, now what Am I going to do with it? I'm in kind of a shock, people wait long time (like me) to get it, some do not have it ever. I guess I need to re-think my life -again-.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck deciding your future Daleth :)

Amy said...

Doors are opening...don't you wish it was Bono's !! Seriously...congrats, now you have options !!

Anonymous said...

A TRABAJAR! Y GANAR DOLARES

Anonymous said...

VENDE GELATINAS!

lydiafdc said...

Whoo-hoo...that is so exciting!! I know the feelings you expressed although not to the degree that I'm sure you experienced...good for you in getting the permit for work!