Monday, September 24, 2007

La Frida-experiencia.

It's been a while that I do not put on this blog, something about Frida Kahlo, but considering our trip to Mexico happened two months ago, I think it is time to talk about it.

Just a brief story about my "passion" for Frida. All of it started when Bidane was a baby. I knew some of Frida's work and I had visited "La Casa Azul" before even my daughters were born, but at that time of my postpartum moments, something came to my mind, a question: What made Frida Kahlo dress with Mexican-ethnic clothes, why she liked to look that way?

Being honest I didn't even know that many of her clothes were part of the called Tehuanas, women from the state of Oaxaca. That I learned it after.


The interesting thing is that I thought on collect information and put together some-kind of a book, because I didn't know about a work talking about her clothes (indumentaria), but one thing that didn't came along was, what happened with all of her textiles, skirts, dresses, rebozos (chawls), huipiles (blouses). Every thing she owned, fabrics she got when she lived in San Francisco or New York. Where was all of that, I didn't see them in the museum when I visited the first time.

Of course I was unable to go further on my investigation of her clothes, but trying to do it, I had lots of fun reading books about her life, looking for pictures of her on the internet, and learning about ethnic textiles from my country.

Now I'm happy a book came out about her clothing, named "El Ropero de Frida". Couple of years ago, they found hidden in the bathroom of "La Casa Azul", the missing piece of the puzzle and the most important part, her clothes. Experts in textiles, and other experts made the investigation and edited this book. For another post I will tell about the exhibitions in Mexico city.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also..what's amazing when you see her clothes at La Casa Azul is how tiny she way.

Amy said...

Sounds so interesting...you know how I love fabric's...I will look forward to hearing more !!

Anonymous said...

c'mon !!!
hfo course she was tiby she could not walk....that's so mean....!!!!