Monday, January 29, 2007

Why I had my last tall latte or any kind of Starbuck's product..

Last thursday while Aitana was in her dance class, Bidane and I walked to Starbucks. For me as ussual, asked for a "tall" latte, Bidane wanted juice, she is always happy going to that place, she looks the cookies expectant that I say: o.k have a cookie if you like- that never happened, so I think she keeps faith some day it would.
Pepe always complained about my thursday coffee in Starbucks: that coffee is so expensive... in Spain (since he traveled to Spain, he is so "español") you have "un cortado" for 1.50. I believe him, and I see it, in Borders you get it for less the price Starbucks charges.
Anyway I just wanted coffee and a little walk with my girl; that day I noticed in the coffee shop they offer bottled water, it suppose you buy and they send profits to Ethiopan children, something like that. I thought that's cool, supporting the children of Africa.
Then on Friday I found something interesting on the internet about a movie called Black Gold, the crisis of coffee prices and issues between Starbucks and Ethiopan producers... (ahhh). That made me re-think my Starbucks consumption.
I've always believed that Starbucks made committments with social issues and environmental ones, in fact you see the paper lavel they have, it says "Starbucks is committed to reducing our environmental impact through increased use of post-consumer recycled materials. Help us help the planet". All the image they have is about things like that, they have even "won awards" related to the same.
So, the problem is they do not pay "fairtrade" to the producers and if you want a fairtrade coffee from them, you need to ask for it, it is not part of their "tall, grande, whatever"choices, if you want it, they will press it just for you... and you have to pay more...! and of course, if the employee get confused when you ask for a small size, imagine when you say "fairtrade".
They sell water to help children of Ethiopia, but they do not pay fair prices to the coffee producers from the same country, still selling its grandes and talls so expensive...!
Now as a conclussion, I'm not a "fairtrade- organic, fanatic" consumer yet, but if a company campaigns it self as committed, helpful to the world, and asks more money for their products, at least I expect from them what they offer.
For my little girl will not be anymore walkings to Starbucks, probably we will find better thing to do.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I can not give up my coffee! Please don't ask me to give up my coffee!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunaly our whole first world lifestyle is because other people are paid like crap- and the environment is exploited- sounds harsh, but it is the truth. It sucks.

I agree that Starbucks sells itself as a "fair trade" Co that always pays fair trade- but it doesn't. The only way to really be responsible is to only buy fair trade coffee and drink it at home I guess.

Anonymous said...

Y porque vas a Starbuck's y no a Claire de lune, en lugar de apoyar las grandes corporaciones, apoya los comercios locales.

Bidane podra disfrutar de unos Muffin's espectaculares y no tienes ni siquiera que cruzar la avenida.

daleth said...

Es verdad... dejé de ir al Claro de luna porque un dia el café me supo muy tostado (casi quemado) y eso ya no me gustó, por lo menos sabia que en Starbucks todo el tiempo sabria igual. Supongo que ahora regresaré al Claro de luna, aprovecho y me echo un "taco de ojo"con los bomberos que se reunen ahi...

daleth said...

I was thinking the same, buying fairtrade coffee and drink it at home! I'll post something about fairtrade labels and brands.

Anonymous said...

we should move to spain to have cheap coffee

Lauren said...

Clair d' Lune sucks- it is dirty and the coffee isn't very good. The muffins and other pastries are over priced and don't taste very good....

One good thing about Starbucks is that they have good health insurance for their employees- that is not common among big companies.

too bad the people picking their beans probably can't afford to go to the doctor....

Lauren said...

I forgot to mention that Cafe Calabria right around the corner on 30th has REALLY good coffee. They roast it right there. I don't know if it is fair priced coffee, but at least you are supporting a local business.

Anonymous said...

I think Pepe's idea is the best, move to Espana and drink the coffee there. That is my kind of solution...illogical yet daring!! ha ha ha!!