Friday, February 23, 2007

Groceries, coffee and more.

I've never been in such beautiful super-market as Wholefoods, the place where they sell the meat (carnicería) is so clean and pristine, no bad odors and those guys that get your order are more like spa employees that "carniceros", nothing to do with my hometown market, back in Mexico, where they used to kill the chickens in front of everybody eyes, (today they do it away). But as nice Wholefoods is, as well expensive, so I just go there like once every 5 years. Where I like to go and find my produce is Henry's, which was later gotten by Wild Oats. But still good prices and products.

Yesterday, I listend on the radio news, Whole foods bought Wild Oats, ergo, Henry's, and that is something my one-income-family can't bear. I know organic is better, but expensive-organic, well you know... I prefer to wash my carrots that have a super-clean and germs-free package. According to the "organic expert" on the radio, the transaction doesn't mean lower prices, even Whole foods can close some stores from Wild Oats. I will see what happens or I'll have to buy in other place.

And talking about stores, Trader Joe's is another favorite. Now you can find the fair trade coffee at good price 6.99 for a 13 ounce can, a good coffee not fair trade, is about 5 something with almost the same quantity, so drop one coffee from the coffee shop and buy this fair trade.

Trader Joe's sells chiles rellenos, or stuffed poblano peppers as they called them, un chile relleno por 3.49, and is not even covered with this mexican style batter or capeado. In the mexican store close to my house the platter with two chiles is the same price, with rice and beans. Now, if I make them one chile costs about 40 cents, plus the egg and what ever I put in, will be no more than one dollar. I see why Trader Joe's puts los chiles in first place on the grocery list, the profit is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Whole Foods, but we call it "Whole Pay Check" in our family!!

Germany said...

Preciado, Preciado.
Blanco, Blanco.

Lauren said...

I heard that news about Henry's too. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.