Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dia de muertos

El muerto al pozo y el vivo al gozo!

During all this six years I have been living in SD, I have noticed something that captures my attention. More and more people non-mexican is attracted to this Dia de muertos, even Aitana and Bidane see more about this festivity at school than myself when I was a child.
Why is this? I don't know. Maybe the curiosity about altars and songs at the cementery, food for the love-ones that have died, flowers and skeletons all over the place. What it is sure, is all this embracement of " Dia de los muertos", like it is called here. Funny thing, because in Mexico it is "Dia de muertos", not de los muertos. Also, there are in Mexico as many different kind of celebrations as states in the republic, every region has its own way to remember, so we can not say in Mexico there is a skeleton in the bread for good luck, or La Catrina from Posadas is the way all mexicans represents Death.
Every year, I hear comments like: We Mexicans, laugh at the death, we make jokes about it, we celebrate it; DO WE?

Anyways, if you have to remember someone, this is the day to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know, I always hear that again and again, "Mexicans celebrate death". But surely, a whole country can't celebrate death happily, let's face it, we are all scared of death, si! However, it's very cool that Mexico has a day to remember your loved ones..now that's cool!