Thursday, January 17, 2008

Confession


I never, ever give up to books, specially if I borrow them from the library, the due date helps me to focus. 0nce I put myself to read, I finish, even if I don't like what I'm reading; but this time, I'm sorry to tell you, and if Isabel Allende happens to read my blog (ha-ha), probably she will feel uncomfortable knowing that somebody just put away what she created with lots of care (I think), and on top of things criticizes. That is the reason I read from beginning to end most of the books in my hands, - for respect to the author-.

But this time...this time I just couldn't, the book was in Spanish no reason to get tired in the English comprehension, the worst is that I left like 50 pages untouched, I almost got it, but the due renewed date came, I didn't have the mood to go to the library and have a chat with the librarian to change from one card to another, besides it was overdue, I was deep in my effort to finish it, that I never noticed it was overdue. Feeling angry and frustrated I thought,- come on, you are not going to finish it-, night after night I found my self fallen asleep, waking up later to turn the light off probably after 1:00, I don't think my husband with jet lag from his long trip from Australia would feel happy with that.

Every reader is different, and the circumstance of the reading time is not the same for each of us, probably you would enjoy it, as many people did. But I found the narrative rather boring, it talks about the way El Zorro, became El Zorro, his adventures to do so are non-sense, he joins a secret society of justice, a group of gypsies and is inspired by a pirate to get his out-fit. I came to the conclusion that Isabel Allende got the character and his abilities, as good athlete, good with the sword, and then thought about an spectacular almost from the circus way to get his "heroic powers". I'm o.k that she choose the period of Diego de la Vega to become El Zorro, it is just the way: too big ears, he needed to cover them with the mask... Is this a joke or what.

3 comments:

ma otter said...

I can totally relate to this...you must read it but you just don't really like it but you feel like youre supposed too...!

lydiafdc said...

I have to admit I have closed the the cover on many a book and try, tried again, but there are just some I can't get through, even if lots of other people really enjoyed it.

Lauren said...

Another who agrees.

I have stopped reading 2 John Irving books in the middle. He is just too long winded.