Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Princesas

Sofia Coppola made a movie about Marie Antoinette , Queen of France. I'm looking forward to see it. Last year I became very interested in Princess and Queens of Europe , reading about their lives and achievements, important political figures of their times. And all of this interest was because I was looking for a better understanding of what a princess is, even today, so I could have a realistic explanation to my two daugthers about the concept of a princess, their activities, symbolism, feminism, etc. And not just the (supposed) happy ending of Snow White or Cinderella.



Una película de Sofia Coppola se va a estrenar pronto sobre la vida de Maria Antonieta, reina de Francia, aquella que dijera, que los pobres coman pasteles. Particularmente estoy muy interesada en la vida de las princesas y reinas de Europa desde el medievo hasta hoy. Estas mujeres, sobre todo en el pasado han sido piezas importantes en la vida política de sus paises de origen y a donde iban a vivir casadas, muchas de ellas dirigieron naciones, firmaron tratados de paz o hicieron la guerra. Inicié con esta inquietud con el fin de explicar a mis dos nenas el significado de princesa, sus responsabilidades, educación, simbolismo, incluso feminismo y que el final féliz de Blanca Nieves, es una fantasia que ninguna princesa verdadera ha tenido para sí.

5 comments:

daleth said...

Pepe likes the soundtrack! New Order.

Anonymous said...

Age of Consent.... a classic!

Lauren said...

I can't wait for that movie either.

You are so right about wanting to explain to the girls that there is a lot more to princesses than Sleeping Beauty or Snow White. Especially since in the end of those movies they always get "rescued" by a prince. A little different than the end of the movie "Elizabeth"! (I saw that was one of your favorites on your profile)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Marie Antoinette either, and I think the New Romantic English music will make it really interesting. Yes, the princess thing is pretty stupid. Have you seen the series of books at Borders etc. that is for kids, that follows the real lives of several young princesses and queens? I'll have to find the name.

daleth said...

No, I have not seen that book. Damn it, somebody stole my idea!