Sunday, April 06, 2008

No hay grasa en las tortillas

- There is no fat in corn tortillas- I like to read Cooking Light once in a while, it depends how thirsty I'm in the store, because instead of spending 3 dlls. in a beverage I do it in a magazine, although is a little more expensive. Anyways, I wrote the last sentence just to make my three readers roll their eyes and think -this woman, so frugal- a little fun in the middle of my second cold in a month, that is not funny.

As a conscious magazine they explain calorie counting for their recipes and other interesting facts about food, among those things, they wrote that corn tortillas have fat, definitely it is not true. Corn tortillas do not have fat, no lard, no vegetable shortening or anything related. If you fry the tortillas then is different.

Tamales and flour tortillas have some fat, in the traditional way lard is used for that purpose. If you are scared of lard (even though it has less cholesterol than butter) and like to buy these products, check the label, now you can find tamales or flour tortillas made with vegetable shortening or even olive oil

7 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the info Daleth...I almost always get corn, and I have to say, I am pretty frugal to, but a cooking magazine, or a sunset garden mag, will get me to spend my $3 to !! Hope your cold gets better. Blake and Chloe have it to.. I am hoping it does not get me...

Lauren said...

If you really want to be frugal - you should just get a subscription.
Then it is only $1.50 an issue and it comes right to your house!

daleth said...

This time you caught me, Lauren! You are right, in that case I will not need to go to Henry's and have a heart attack when I see, how much they charge for a couple of lemons.
You won't believe 1 dollar for 2 lemons. You have a gold mine in your back yard!.

Anonymous said...

Lauren "gold mine in her backyard" McDonald. This post made me laugh so hard..thinking about the $3 on a beer joke!! :) very funny! I think a magazine, especially a cooking one is worth $3, but I also think a beer is worth $3 (unless it's a Budweiser!!).
Feel better soon amiga!

Lauren said...

For your information yesterday at Von's I bought 6 beers for 6.99.

I'm gonna drink them all by myself. (not in one night, but pollo is out of town and I am stuck home with a sick kid, what else am I gonna do?)

Anonymous said...

I love the poke at butter...it's so funny to hear Mexicans defending lard...like when I lived in a Brazil as an English person..they were always insulting tea...and telling me that tea had much more caffeine than coffee...okay! :) Daleth
lard is good for you ..hahahaha...xxx
love you :)

daleth said...

I don't defend lard...I don't even consume it or suggest people have to try it, I'm just saying that tamales and flour tortillas have them, if people are concern about it, my suggestion is check the label of flour tortillas and tamales.
Among the facts of the world,lard has less cholesterol than butter. In this world of facts, probably butter and lard have more cholesterol than all the rest of the oils.