Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Values, passion and mothers.

Mamá....Pasala bien.

I missed posting a Mother's day congratulations to all of you, Mamas. I know -you girls- had a wonderful day, and it seems that every body appreciates a cozy day at home, school made cards, breakfast and some extra "help" around the house. FELICIDADES A TODAS.

As a tradition, in Mexico, El dia de las Madres, is a big, big deal. Families get together, they eat something as mole poblano or other traditional dish, celebrating a la madre, with music, presents and dirty dishes (because at the end, guess who cleans the kitchen). I wanted for this year to celebrate my-self cooking something like that, and have a cake. In short as we say: putting a long table-cloth. But of course nothing like that happened because I didn't planned it in advanced and no desire of dirty dishes for me.

What wonderful would it be to have some body that cooks, when I'm not in the mood. Then I remembered this fabulous book called "Como Agua para Chocolate", that became a Mexican classic movie.

In the novel, Tita the youngest daughter of a family of three sisters plus the mom, became the cook of the household, and through her cooking she tries to connect with her lover, that by the way, marries with her sister.

The mother in the novel is a horrible woman, selfish and authoritarian, a picture of the anti-mama, but yet the person where the household world spins around. Her lack of comprehension leads the whole story, even after her own death. Luckily for Tita she had her "nana" to support her, even too, after she dies. Mother is a deep feeling for somebody, as the feeling of the "nana" for Tita. Tita herself protects and cares for her sister's children during times when they needed her the most.

As a mother, I try to connect with my children in different ways. One of these is cooking for them, so they feel at home, as well I want to transmit to them the enormous culinary culture we are part of. But definitely I don't look forward to be the center of their world.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmhhh....ya te hiciste Mama GRINGA!!!

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite movies...I love the whole culture of cooking and cooking for people that you love.

ma otter said...

great post daleth!

lydiafdc said...

Love that movie! I wish I could spend some days just cooking...it would make it so much more enjoyable! It also makes me miss not having my extended family around my kids...I don't want to be their "world" either.